I like customizability with my computer interface. The more I can automate certain tasks – like where I put my downloads so I can get back to them later – the happier a bear I am.
So, a download manager for me.
And I’ve settled on uGet.
I tried out uGet and quickly realized it was far more lightweight than what I’d been using, had categories like I wanted, and could integrate easily with Firefox/Iceweasel using FlashGot. And always a plus – it’s cross-platform, so I could easily recommend it to Windows users as well.
Consistently, uGet feels light, snappy, and quick.
I had two problems.
First was that certain apps I use – in particular Liferea – do not support uGet. But they do support KGet. While KGet was good, it just felt … bloated, and I had crashes with it, so I didn’t want to keep using it.
Second, the one feature that KGet does natively that uGet does not is automatically sort downloads into categories. You can specify what categories to use, but it won’t automatically detect them.
Turns out the solution to both was the same thing. So I, um, did the thing.
I wrote a bash script for us linux people and a Windows script for the Windows folks, along with pretty straightforward and step-by-step instructions. The whole thing is over on Github: https://github.com/uriel1998/uget_autosorter .
I’ve done all the heavy lifting; it should be a matter of 20 minutes to set it up (including FlashGot for Firefox), and it’s all free. If you have any problems with it, let me know!