I use Thunderbird and Firefox pretty much exclusively on the desktop. (Actually Iceweasel and Icedove – the difference is here but doesn’t concern us here.) There’s a few key extensions and add-ons that make them such a pleasure to use. I took a few minutes last week to gather them into collections so that you can check them out as well.
For Firefox/Iceweasel the collection is here:
Ones I find useful you probably haven’t seen on every other list like this:
- Open With – Not just browsers, but open an URL with any program you like. So feed that youtube url directly to MPV or youtube-dl.
Bookmarks Checker – does what it says on the tin
- It’s All Text – lets you edit and write to text fields with whatever editor you like.
- FXOpera: I used to like Opera. I’m not a huge fan now. But this UI is so much better than the current default Firefox layout.
For Thunderbird/Icedove the collection is here:
There’s some really, really cool ones I’ve only recently found here:
- Remove Duplicate Messages: Title Says It All
- Mail Merge: Super useful, of course, and REALLY easy to use.
- GContactSync: Yes, does exactly what you think it does. Includes photos.
- Display Contact Photo: Works great when combined with GContactSync. Includes Gravitar support, but the lookups on that got to be a bit much.
- Resize Images: Works great for both attachments … but more importantly, for the inline images. It was wonderful when sending images to my amour’s daughter while I dogsat.
For even more power, use OfflineIMAP to process your mail locally!