Updated HTML Entities Reference using Zenity, Awk, SED.

So I made the first big change in my repository for eBook utilities in a long time, largely because I’m toying with completely changing my workflow.  I used Pandoc with a recent conversion, and it was very very nice.

But right now I’m doing the eBook layout for Steampunk World and I ran into a problem I’d almost forgotten about – extended characters.

Not just your “normal” accented characters, but ones that literally have unicode names of “inodot”.  So instead of scrolling up and down across four different unicode reference webpages, I updated my referring entities script to be able to search and the reference text file to add extended-A and extended-B.

Basic instructions here:

http://ideatrash.net/2012/02/so-you-want-to-make-ebook-quick-access.html

Because all the tools involved (awk, sed, zenity) are cross-platform, you should be able to make it work pretty easily no matter what system you’re on.  And the first time you run into a conversion job that has a lot of special characters, you’ll thank me.

Popular posts:

  • HOWTO Make Your Hamburger Helper Better
  • The Songs That Chronicle Our Lives
  • If there's one Nazi (or a racist) at the table...
  • Word Porn Quotes
  • I am not a number; I am a free man, OR, why you should never rely on social media
  • It's not being "Awkward", and the difference between Excuses and Explanations
  • I really like you, but I have to break up with you before I don't.