I’ve written a couple of guides on how to get whole-house audio and streaming by using
snapcast, and other FOSS projects. I’ve previously described it as a weekend project, but by using Docker, it’s a trivial setup.
- mpd for music playing and remote streaming
- snapcast (and snapweb) for whole-house streaming
- mpdscribble for scrobbling to last.fm / libre.fm
- minidlna for upnp serving
- RompR web interface (for controlling the whole thing)
- Nginx proxy fragment
- music directory and configurations accessible from host (at least at spinup)
You can get a working installation (once you have docker and docker-compose installed) by cloning the repository, creating a symbolic link to your music directory, and typing
docker-compose up --build -d.
Many, many thanks to Toward Data Science whose post pointed me to how to get several things running together.