I use Crashplan now for my backup provider, and ran into a small snag while upgrading to Debian Jessie (I also use Crunchbang #!, and yes, that’s all google bait for other people who have the same problem.)
The thing is, it’s actually pretty well documented on the Crashplan website… I’m just enough of a moron to try searching the internet and forums first… and the terminology I used wasn’t the same as theirs.
So my GUI would launch and then almost immediately crash with an error in libsoup. Turns out that’s because I accidentally pulled in GNOME3 during the upgrade (yeah, that annoyed me), and apparently didn’t get rid of all of it.
The fix is actually really simple: add this to the second line in run.conf:
Which means that you’ll end up with something like this:
GUI_JAVA_OPTS=”-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=mozilla”
While we’re at it, I’ll also share my other tips for Crashplan on Linux:
1. I stopped the system service.
sudo update-rc.d crashplan disable
2. I set up sudoers to run the Crashplan Engine without requiring the password. This is the “you need to do enough research to understand what you’re doing” portion.
3. I use ionice to reduce the disk i/o demands so I’m more willing to let it run in the background instead of killing it when it interferes with my games. 🙂
This helps my system startup time, and then I can configure the engine to start a few seconds later once everything else is going.